Thursday, August 16, 2007

Anthony's: 701 Grand

Thursday, August 16, 2007
Nestled next to a small bluff at the intersection of 7th street and Grand Blvd ("of the Americas"), Anthony's is a classic Italian joint. I've been here for dinner, sampled manhattans and Campari on the rocks, listened to the roving crooner sing "Volare" and eaten linguini and meatballs served by teenage Italian kids in white and black. So, i really like this place because it feels like it should.

I went in for lunch recently and had a decent experience. We were seated by a short, skinny, older woman with the largest hairdo I have ever seen. It looked like a huge, black football helmet. Very very impressive.

The lunchtime waitstaff pretty much consists of middle aged italian ladies who have been around the block a time or two. Our server was very friendly and did everything right. The lunch menu is big and doesn;t really differ much from the dinner menu. You can get pastas, chicken parm sandwiches, meatball subs, spiedini, all that stuff. Prices are ok--anywhere from 7-12 bucks depending on what you order.

The food here is not great: let's make that perfectly clear. I don't care what anyone says. The sauce is way too sweet, reminiscent of spaghetti-o's. There is nothing remarkable about the way things are prepared or the way they are plated. That being said, so what? I would be disappointed if this place was too good. The reason you like Anthony's has to do with the whole package: ambiance, music, decor, clientele, hairdos...The food is part of that certainly, just not a draw in and of itself.

Oh yeah, before I forget: Sinatra was playing in the restaurant the whole time I was there. On your way out, be sure to stop by the Virgin Mary shrine nestled in the limestone wall in the parking lot. Pay your respects, people. In summation, I would't characterize Anthony's as overly fast, or overly fancy. As they say: It is what it is.

Read more:

Anthony's Restaurant & Lounge on Urbanspoon

Yelp

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

their bread is the best

Unknown said...

I love it - this was almost identical to my experience - I follow your blog but never saw your review of this place. I ordered the lasagna, which was said to be amazing by our server, and the sauce tasted exactly like you described - Chef Boyardee. I mean, spot on. I can't believe people think that this is good Italian food! I did appreciate the old style ambiance and the Sinatra playing the entire time, as well as selling wine by the carafe (although it was Carlo Rossi...)

Your Ad Here
 
Copyright 2007-2011 by Kansas City Lunch Spots. All Rights Reserved.