Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Farm to Market Cafe: 7921 Santa Fe (OPKS)

Tuesday, January 1, 2008
Believe me, I really want to dislike this place. I really do. No it's not the best sandwich you will ever eat, but it's a really solid lunch spot with super friendly staff and a casual coffee shop atmosphere. In the summer they have a great little patio and proximity to the park. The lunch menu is small but covers all your bases: deli sandwiches, a selection of salads, a couple of homemade soups, desserts, a full run of espresso drinks and so forth.

Sometimes you just want a sandwich. No bullshit like paninis or subs or foccacia bread. And never, ever "wraps." Talk about the worst trend in the world. I don't think KC has received the message that wraps went out in 1999. Anyway I want some good meat, some good bread, some good cheese, lettuce, tomato and the condiment of your choice. Somehow Subway can't manage to create bread without it being full of air or overly seasoned or just plain wrong. And I'm sure they put artificial aromas in the stuff to fill the failing mall food court with the fictitious odor of baking bread a la Cinnabon or whatever that place is that sells cinnamon rolls the size of basketballs. And people wonder why we're fat. Well personally my weight is the result of absolutely zero excercise, but I've made peace with that.

Anyway Farm to Market is known for their bread which appears in grocery stores all over the metro. While not the best bread around, it is generally the best bread you can get at the local store rather than visiting a bakery itself. They offer the option to grill any sandwich which is great, but generally I pass because the bread is good in its original state.

The staff is quite friendly and helpful, almost to a creepy degree. They have this smiley, almost cultish kind of service ethic. Generally I respect gruffness and efficiency more, but far be it from me to complain. All was explained when I noticed some books for sale in the front window, written by a co-owner of the business. Basically these books look like religious psycho-babble about how running a business brings you closer to God. The author is trying to establish herself as some kind of expert in "faith formation" whatever that is. It seems like a term developed to keep well-educated people interested in church.

Normally out of principle I shirk businesses that espouse overly religious and/or right wing ideals, such as Hobby Lobby, Coors brewing or Chick Fil-A, Forgive my rant here, but we need to realize that decisions we make -- like eating lunch -- have implications beyond our taste buds. If I go into a restaurant and see a photo of the owner with his arm around Ronald Reagan, I'm gonna think twice about going back. You do what you want. Farm to Market is an exception for the time being. As far as I can tell, my occasional sandwich isn't supporting an agenda of gay-bashing, religious intolerance or woman-hating. Plus it's a local business with limited ability to support offending organizations with oversized political contributions.

So I'll continue to revisit F to M cafe, mostly because I had a cup of sweet potato bisque that was really damn good and I want more. Prices are relatively good--soup and half sandwich for 7.95. With a drink you'll easily spend 10 bucks which is sort of my unofficial cutoff for a reasonable lunch these days.

It's downtown Overland Park location is pretty charming. I really like downtown OP as a physical environs and was surprised to see as many empty storefronts as there are. I suppose most of the money and development has moved to the southern end of the county, leaving some of these first suburbs to struggle a little more. A taste of their own historical medicine I suppose. The business that are on that stretch of Santa Fe seem to be doing well, however, and the street is far from deserted in the midday. Mostly retirees and joco homemakers, from the looks of it, but I have seen the occasional lunch break dude eating at F to M. Anyhow, even a heathen like me gives this place a thumbs-up. Until I can find a good reason to actually hate it. Happy eating!

Read more:

Farm To Market Neighborhood on Urbanspoon

Yelp

6 comments:

kcmeesha said...

I haven't found better bread in the metro,but you have to go where they bake it-one of the locations is in Hen House on 135th and Metcalf. Few French bakeries in town are overpriced and another good place is Wheatfields bakery in Lawrence.
http://wheatfieldsbakery.com/

pom. said...

I wanted to dislike this place as well but my sandwich was just damn good. I'd really like to try their weekend breakfast stuff.

How in the hell did I not know this blog about FOOD in KC existed? Ass. I'm excited now.

The DLC said...

Thanks for visiting-I'm glad you're excited! You have a very lovely blog yerself.

Waldo Oiseau said...

I'm totally going to check this place out. I eat the Farm to Market French baguettes ... which are pretty darn good.

CHUCKD said...

Very true about Subway bread wtf? A good no nonsense sandwith is in Corinth. Great Harvest Bread Co. Also in Lawrence the Cheese Shoppe was always a favorite, if they are still open.

Brener69 said...

I was ok with your article until you started doing what you stated you dont like others to do. State your opinions, offer biased feedback, and basically just be a tool. If you would really walk out of a place because someone had their picture taken with the President of the United States is just stupid. I would be happy to have my picture hanging on the wall with President Obama or President Bush. It is an honor to have your picture taken no matter which party you vote for. Get over yourself and just enjoy the food, service, and atmosphere

Your Ad Here
 
Copyright 2007-2011 by Kansas City Lunch Spots. All Rights Reserved.