Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Soho Cafe: 314 W. 8th

Wednesday, January 24, 2007
This is nice little spot on the first floor of the Soho loft building on 8th street. It can get lost in the shuffle due to its lack of prominent signage, construction and other nearby restaurants. But this is a nice cafe that features a pretty hearty lunch menu. You can get a decent sandwich here, as well as a french dip, pulled pork on a bun, or chicken caesar salad.

There is always the same dude behind the counter, and he is prompt, friendly and efficient. I've never had to wait long for my food after ordering, which is a big bonus compared to these other yahoos in the neighborhood.

But yes, I have complaints. I really like the option of getting mixed greens with my lunch instead of chips or potato salad or whatever. You gotta eat something green sometime for Christ's sake. Takes some of the heat off the french dip in terms of providing nutrients and so forth. But the salad dressing at the Soho is the worst raspberry vinaigrette--a big pet peeve of mine. Why do people like this crap? It's like, so 1990's pseudo-fancy american restaurant revival stuff. I mean, no one thinks a wrap is fancy any more--Oh wait, the Soho has a bunch of wraps on the menu--why this veritable dessert topping of a salad dressing? I suppose assberry vinaigrette has crossed into the undiscerning realm of popular taste. Americans elected our current fearless leader twice, so I guess you can't expect much in terms of gastronomic sophistication.

But the Soho has the worst raspberry dressing I have ever had. It makes my teeth hurt.

I should also mention that the prices are not so great compared to the quality of the food. While decent enough, the food doesn't really warrant the 10 bucks it costs you. But I do pay a visit once in a while because you can hang out and read the paper or whatever without feeling hurried.

Read more:

Yelp

2 comments:

Unknown said...

SOHO has changed ownership as well as the entire menu. Fast, fresh, seasonal food.

The DLC said...

Thanks Jamie, I'm glad to hear it. I haven't been there for about a year so I'll be sure to check it out again.

Your Ad Here
 
Copyright 2007-2011 by Kansas City Lunch Spots. All Rights Reserved.